Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Please also visit us at:
STAFFMrs. K MacLean (604) 542 – 4520 Dept Head Career Ed/Planning 10, Grad Transitions, District Programs/ Secondary School Apprenticeship Programs email@example.com Ms. C Muir (604) 542 – 4521 Co-ops. Work experience firstname.lastname@example.org Ms. J Spencer 604-538-6678 ext 2341 Career Centre Assistant email@example.com
Where are we located?We are located in the centre of the school, next to food services in the cafeteria. Students are encouraged to visit and check out interesting websites, tips on resume writing and interviewing, employment and volunteer opportunities, general labour market information and related material. The Career Centre Assistant is available to assist students with career and post-secondary information. Students are also encouraged to regularly check the Career Centre Bulletin Boards. This is where volunteer opportunities and information about special events such as career fairs are posted.
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU
- Creating a resume and cover letter
- Volunteer opportunities
- Information on potential careers
- Information on post-secondary schools
- Organizing Work Experience Placements
- Assisting with your Grad Transitions completion
- Information and assistance applying for District Trades Partnership Programs or Secondary Apprenticeships
- Information and assistance with applications to Specialty Programs such as: RCMP Youth Academy,
- BCIT’s Biotechnology Program, VCC’s Fashion Boot Camp, The Art Institute’s S.W.E.A.T. Program
- and many more!
- Opportunities to participate in a Grade 11 Humanities or Science Co-op
What programs do we offer?Grade 11 / 12
- Work Experience
- Co-op Programs (Humanities and Science)
- District Partnership Programs
- Secondary School Apprenticeship Programs (SSA)
- Career Cruising http://www.careercruising.com
- Take our Kids to Work – November 3, 2010
- Forms are being handed out to students in Period 2. Students should return their forms to their
- Block A teacher by November 1, 2010.
- More information on this initiative is available on this web-site http://www.thelearningpartnership.ca
- Career Centre Orientation
WORK EXPERIENCEWork experience is a 4-credit, grade 12 course open to students in grades 10 to 12. It is designed to help students learn work search and work place skills. Students complete their unpaid work experience outside of school hours. This may include weekend or holiday shifts. In lieu of wages students earn school credits (90 hours = 4 credits). Grades are determined by successful completion of these hours or work experience and required course work assignments. Assignments include safety lessons, resume writing, interview preparation, self evaluation and reflections. Interested students should see Mrs. MacLean in the Career Centre.
DISTRICT TRADE PARTNERSHIP PROGRAMSThe Surrey School District has a number of partnership programs with post secondary institutions that allow students to gain post secondary and high school credits. Tuition for most Partnership Programs is paid for by the Surrey School District and Grade 11 or 12 students can start their post secondary training while they are still an Elgin Park student! There are Partnership Programs in the automotive, culinary and construction industries as well as drafting, art, hairdressing, law enforcement and more. Come to the Career Centre for more information.
SECONDARY SCHOOL APPRENTICESHIPS (SSA)Did you work in a trade industry during the summer?
Are you 15 years of age or older? You could receive credits for the work you are already doing – as well as getting a head start on earning your trade certification. Students can also qualify for $1000 Apprenticeship Scholarship. Come see us in the Career Centre to get started today!